From Planet of the Apes to helping manage road networks – this is Oxford Metrics
- In the driving seat is Nick Bolton, CEO at Oxford Metrics
- We talk acquisition strategy, ‘Big Data’, the importance of sustainability and much more
There are few things that link a Hollywood Studio with clinicians deciding therapeutic strategies, but Oxford Metrics’ products are one of them.
Versatility is deeply embedded in the DNA of Oxford Metrics. The company prides itself on being a leader in high precision movement analysis, a field that has applications from creating visual effects in Hollywood blockbusters to analysing the gait of a child with cerebral palsy. Listed on the AIM since 2001, the Oxfordshire-based company has clients across the public and private sectors and operates in over 70 countries across the globe.
Oxford Metrics CEO Nick Bolton has guided the company through extraordinary growth since taking over the driving seat in 2006. He has also spearheaded the company’s acquisition strategy which has seen the company go from strength to strength.
Host of the Driving Ambition interview series Oli Barrett sat down with Nick to talk about running a public company, their acquisition strategy, the importance of sustainability, and much more. Watch the full discussion below and be sure to catch up with the rest of the interviews in the series.
Here’s what we covered during the discussion:
- Could you tell us about Oxford Metrics and the work that you do? (0:41)
- Who are your typical clients? (4:46)
- When you have such great technology potential, how do you choose what to focus on? (5:36)
- When you refer to Oxford Metrics as a ‘social actor’, what does that mean to you? (7:00)
- What has been your company strategy around acquisitions, and could you tell us about your recent activity? (8:10)
- What are the benefits of being a listed company? (12:55)
- How have you dealt with the challenges of the past few years, specifically around the pandemic and Brexit? (14:40)
- How have you had to adapt your company plans to deal with the turbulence of the last few years? (18:31)
- What would you say are the main challenges facing you as a leader? (20:26)
- Where would say the opportunities lie in the next few years? (21:09)
- You’re a company that manages a huge amount of data. What challenges do you come across in managing this? (23:53)
- How are you approaching sustainability as a company? (25:15)
- How do you as a leader find time to think, reflect and make the best possible decisions you need to make? (26:56)
- How important is communication in your organisation (internally and with clients)? (27:38)
What is the finnCap Ambition Nation Listed 50?
The Driving Ambition interview series highlights companies that feature on finnCap’s Ambition Nation Listed 50. In 2018, renowned financial advisor finnCap launched Ambition Nation; a platform for innovative, high-growth companies to showcase their success stories and discuss the challenges of the modern business landscape.
Firmly at the beating heart of corporate Britain’s growth, the companies on the Ambition Nation Listed 50 are small- to mid-cap PLCs that have been identified using the finnCap Group’s Slide Rule. This equity analysis tool identifies companies that offer the best blend of growth and quality.
finnCap advise ambitious companies and promote their stories to find the right investment for growth. They also help these companies access the growth capital that’s right for them. See the finnCap website for information.