Watch the full interview with Barry Hearn here
We were proud to talk to Barry Hearn, legendary sports promoter and founder of Matchroom Sport, in this edition of Business Leader Insight, brought to you by Knightstone Capital.
Barry Hearn is a sporting events promoter and the founder and chairman of promotions company Matchroom Sport. Barry has transformed sports like Darts, Snooker and Boxing throughout his career and managed names such as Steve Davis, Anthony Joshua and Chris Eubank.
His business is also one of the UK’s fastest-growing and his son Eddie now also plays an influential role within it. Barry was also previously the Chairman of Leyton Orient, where he once signed Harry Kane MBE on loan from Tottenham.
Here’s a breakdown of what we discussed in the interview:
- How have you found the last few months during the COVID-19 crisis? (1:42)
- How did you become involved in sport and what led you to create Matchroom Sport? (2:47)
- Matchroom Sport has become one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies, but you nearly went bankrupt on your journey. How did you turn it around? (5:04)
- You must be very proud to see your son Eddie involved with the business now, could you tell us more about his influence in Matchroom? (7:09)
- This edition of Business Leader Insight is brought to you by Knightstone Capital (9:28)
- Do you think sports are finally coming back as normal after COVID-19? (10:47)
- How do you think lower league football clubs can survive COVID-19 with funding so tight? (13:15)
- Do you think more players should follow Harry Kane’s lead and support their old lower league clubs at this time? (15:18)
- You have managed and met some huge characters – who are the standouts for you and the ones that make you smile now? (18:28)
Questions from the public
- Do you believe we will ever see a billion-dollar boxing match? (21:24)
- What qualities do you look for in a leader? (22:37)
- Which areas of sport do you think are most primed for growth over the next 5-10 years? Also, what other trends do you see commerce-wise that are most interesting? (23:46)
- What is the best way to generate luck? (26:06)
- What fight would you like to see after Fury v Joshua? (28:51)
- Who is your all-time sports hero? (30:57)
- What is one fact about you that we can’t find online? (33:45)
- Final word from Barry (35:27)
Business Leader is supporting the Care Workers Charity during COVID-19. Please consider donating to their JustGiving page to support the unbelievable work they are doing during this time.
Check our Virtual Events page for upcoming Business Leader Insight interviews.
Be sure to subscribe to the Business Leader YouTube channel for more interviews with some of the UK’s leading business figures.