Insight with Jon Taffer: best-selling author, hospitality expert and host/executive producer of Bar Rescue
Watch the full interview with Jon Taffer here
We were honoured to talk to Jon Taffer, best-selling author, hospitality expert and host/executive producer of Bar Rescue on this edition of Business Leader Insight, brought to you by Knightstone Capital.
For nearly four decades, Jon Taffer has been at the forefront of the business management industry offering his expertise to hundreds of thousands of properties and Fortune 500 companies. Jon’s latest book, Don’t Bullsh*t Yourself, a no-nonsense guide that helps people understand and overcome the excuses holding them back from success, became a New York Times, Los Angeles Times and Wall Street Journal best-seller in its first week of release.
He is also the host and executive producer of Bar Rescue. The show spotlights Jon as he saves failing bars from looming closure, leverages Taffer’s four decades of unprecedented industry experience and trademarked “Reaction Management” strategy to offer advisement on everything from menu design to cost management.
Watch Bar Rescue on Amazon Prime in the UK. Jon’s New York Times best-selling book ‘Don’t Bullsh*t Yourself: Crush the Excuses That Are Holding You Back’ is available to purchase on Amazon. You can also listen to ‘The Jon Taffer Podcast’ on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts.
Here’s a breakdown of what we discussed in the interview:
- What’s the feeling in Las Vegas since reopening after the COVID-19 lockdown? (1:24)
- Many leaders have pivoted their business very quickly to adapt to the pandemic. What do you think will make these businesses successful when we get back to normality? (5:42)
- What do you think will be the consequences for businesses that don’t adapt to the new normal? (7:37)
- What tips do you have for UK hospitality businesses when they open back up? (8:52)
- You have a book about excuses and how they hold people back. Why is this mantra so important to you? (10:32)
- How do you know when the time is right to give up and move on to a new business venture? (13:26)
- You’re the host and executive producer of the very popular show Bar Rescue. Could you share some secrets of what it takes to create a successful bar? (16:35)
Questions from the public
- Do you think this crisis has provided a way out and excuse for many businesses that failing anyway and just had poor leadership? (23:06)
- Do you have any smart working tips to work harder without burning out? (23:44)
- Is there still a place for formal dining and will we see it return? (24:38)
- How do privately owned restaurants/bars attract customers from big brands who have huge marketing budgets? (26:10)
- What would you say is more important to the success of a business, good product or good atmosphere and why? (31:43)
- What is one fact about you that people can’t find online? (33:22)
- Some companies have slashed their marketing budgets to save money during the pandemic. What would you say to leaders that have decided to do this? (34:07)
- Final word from Jon (35:33)
Be sure to subscribe to the Business Leader YouTube channel for more interviews with some of the UK’s leading business figures.