Derelict 19th century hotel to get £5.2 million transformation
A firm of Bristol architects are set to transform a derelict 19th Century former bakery, hotel, pub and restaurant in Clevedon into luxury apartments and shops.
O’LearyGoss aims to return The Regent in the town’s Victorian conservation area on Hill Road to its former glory with work due to start on the £5.2M development in February.
Architect Robert O’Leary comments: “It’s going to be a fantastic project for us and it’s wonderful to save this beautiful building and ensure its future in this lovely seaside town.”
The Regent was built in 1857 as a bakery and became a hotel after World War Two, then a public house and restaurant offering ‘the finest steak and sherry’.
It closed around 10 years ago and remained derelict until it was bought by Clifton based Freemantle Developments.
O’LearyGoss Architects’ proposals received full planning permission at the end of 2013.
O’LearyGoss’s design will be built by Construction Total Solutions who will restore much of the existing Victorian stonework.
The new façades will be faced with smooth Bath stone.
The 20 up-market one and two-bed apartments, starting at £150,000, have generous living spaces with terraces, balconies and a dedicated parking space.
Both the refurbished building and the new wings have high levels of insulation, and ‘green electricity’ will be generated from photovoltaic panels on the roof.
One of the ground floor retail units is set to become a local Sainsbury’s Local Store and the other a specialist shop that will fit in with the many independent businesses along the popular road.
O’LearyGoss are also the architects behind the £2 million all-glass superstructure design for Clevedon Pier’s new visitors’ centre set to start later in 2014.