‘You can’t speed up reputation’ business leaders share their scale-up secrets
Watch the live panel debate here
Throughout the month and in partnership with Memery Crystal, Business Leader will be focusing on Scale-ups – which has seen us partner with some of the leading minds in this space to discuss the challenges and opportunities facing scale-up businesses.
To discuss the challenges facing scale-up leaders, Business Leader brought together a panel of experts to talk funding, trade, talent and culture.
You can watch the debate by clicking above.
Who is on the panel?
• Karen O’Grady: Director, Memery Crystal
• Merilee Karr: CEO, Under The Doormat
• Abi Liddle: Chief Operations Officer, Modo25
• Firdaus Nagee: Founder, FCI London
• Josh Robson: Head of External Affairs, ScaleUp Institute
• Anthony Rose: CEO, SeedLegals
Here’s a breakdown of what we covered:
• Josh Robson: How does the Scale-Up Institute define a scale-up business, and do you personally feel the term can be used too often? (02:33)
• Josh Robson: From the companies you know and from the data you are seeing, what are some of the concerns scale-up companies are telling you they have? (04:18)
• Anthony Rose: What are some of the trends you are seeing amongst companies looking to scale? (06:08)
• Anthony Rose: You are a co-founder in SeedLegals, how important has it been for you to have a co-founder to share the journey with? (09:19)
• Firdaus Nagee: Looking back over the last twenty years and scaling FCI London, what have been your biggest challenges? (10:57)
• Firdaus Nagee: What advice would you give to leaders of scale-up businesses looking to instil a good company culture? (13:48)
• Abi Liddle: Can you tell us about your journey scaling your business and the biggest challenges you have faced? (16:02)
• Merilee Karr: Can you tell us about your journey scaling your business and the biggest challenges you have faced? (19:32)
• Karen O’Grady: As a lawyer supporting businesses in this space; what are the common challenges you hear from leaders looking to scale? (23:15)
• Josh Robson, Anthony Rose & Firdaus Nagee: What funding options should scale-up businesses be aware of? (26:13)
• Merilee Karr: Could you tell us about your funding journey and the importance of keeping control of the business throughout? (36:07)
Questions from the audience
• Anthony Rose, Abi Liddle & Karen O’Grady: When you’re experiencing explosive growth, how do you keep a finger on the pulse of your brand and ensure that it’s keeping pace? (39:06)
• Josh Robson, Merilee Karr & Karen O’Grady: I’m a female leader of a business that I consider to be a scale-up – are you seeing more funding being accessed by female owners? (43:55)
• Josh Robson & Karen O’Grady: We hear a lot about the levelling up agenda – are we seeing more scale-up companies from outside of London? (50:20)
• Final word from Abi Liddle (54:16)
• Final word from Firdaus Nagee (54:51)
• Final word from Merilee Karr (55:39)
• Final word from Anthony Rose (57:17)
• Final word from Josh Robson (58:37)
• Final word from Karen O’Grady (59:12)
Be sure to subscribe to the Business Leader YouTube channel for more interviews with some of the UK’s leading business figures.