Throughout the month and in partnership with Memery Crystal, Business Leader will be focusing on Scale-ups – which has seen us partner with some of the leading minds in this space to discuss the challenges and opportunities facing scale-up businesses. An often misattributed term, to be a scale-up business requires an average annualized return of at least 20% in the past 3 years, with at least 10 employees in the beginning of the period.
Achieving this requires businesses to enter the wonderland of high-growth – a select few that are creating jobs and opportunities at a faster rate than many of their peers and also able to attract significant levels of investment and think about options such as an IPO, in the future.
But what are the challenges to maintaining scale-up status – funding, people, space, culture and leadership are just some and to open the lid these topics? This debate will seek to undercover this…
Who is on the panel?
- Karen O’Grady: Director, Memery Crystal
- Merilee Karr: CEO, Under The Doormat
- Abi Liddle: Chief Operations Officer, Modo25
- Firdaus Nagee: Founder, FCI London
- Josh Robson: Head of External Affairs, ScaleUp Institute
- Anthony Rose: CEO, SeedLegals
Here’s a breakdown of what we covered:
- Josh Robson: How does the Scale-Up Institute define a scale-up business, and do you personally feel the term can be used too often? (02:33)
- Josh Robson: From the companies you know and from the data you are seeing, what are some of the concerns scale-up companies are telling you they have? (04:18)
- Anthony Rose: What are some of the trends you are seeing amongst companies looking to scale? (06:08)
- Anthony Rose: You are a co-founder in SeedLegals, how important has it been for you to have a co-founder to share the journey with? (09:19)
- Firdaus Nagee: Looking back over the last twenty years and scaling FCI London, what have been your biggest challenges? (10:57)
- Firdaus Nagee: What advice would you give to leaders of scale-up businesses looking to instil a good company culture? (13:48)
- Abi Liddle: Can you tell us about your journey scaling your business and the biggest challenges you have faced? (16:02)
- Merilee Karr: Can you tell us about your journey scaling your business and the biggest challenges you have faced? (19:32)
- Karen O’Grady: As a lawyer supporting businesses in this space; what are the common challenges you hear from leaders looking to scale? (23:15)
- Josh Robson, Anthony Rose & Firdaus Nagee: What funding options should scale-up businesses be aware of? (26:13)
- Merilee Karr: Could you tell us about your funding journey and the importance of keeping control of the business throughout? (36:07)
Questions from the audience
- Anthony Rose, Abi Liddle & Karen O’Grady: When you’re experiencing explosive growth, how do you keep a finger on the pulse of your brand and ensure that it’s keeping pace? (39:06)
- Josh Robson, Merilee Karr & Karen O’Grady: I’m a female leader of a business that I consider to be a scale-up – are you seeing more funding being accessed by female owners? (43:55)
- Josh Robson & Karen O’Grady: We hear a lot about the levelling up agenda – are we seeing more scale-up companies from outside of London? (50:20)
- Final word from Abi Liddle (54:16)
- Final word from Firdaus Nagee (54:51)
- Final word from Merilee Karr (55:39)
- Final word from Anthony Rose (57:17)
- Final word from Josh Robson (58:37)
- Final word from Karen O’Grady (59:12)
Be sure to subscribe to the Business Leader YouTube channel for more interviews with some of the UK’s leading business figures.