Watch the live panel debate here
To discuss the current skills agenda in the UK, Business Leader partnered with Strode College for a live panel debate looking at the benefits of employing apprentices and investing in traineeships and T Level work placements.
Gillian Keegan MP – who is the Minister for Apprenticeships and Skills joined the panel, alongside Business Leaders from food and drink, professional services and the automotive sector.
To watch the debate please click above.
Who is on the panel?
• David Byford: Director of Employer Engagement, Strode College
• Shaun Grist: Group IT Manager, Wellington Motor Group
• Emma Cox: Head of Field Sales, Thatchers Cider
• Gillian Keegan MP: Minister for Apprenticeships and Skills
• Ingrid Parker: Operations Manager, Harris & Harris
• Mell Turford: Director and Chair, GFM
Here’s a breakdown of what we covered:
• Gillian Keegan: Are you finding more businesses supporting young people in their education through the provision of apprenticeships/T Level placements and how can we get more to do so? (02:55)
• Gillian Keegan: Can investing in apprenticeships and T Level Placements help with employing local talent as opposed to recruiting from abroad? (05:02)
• David Byford: Are you seeing more businesses looking to take on apprentices/ or people on T Level Placements? (08:34)
• David Byford: For a business owner that may be watching and has never taken on an apprentice and has a perception that it’s a lot of work. What would you say to them about the benefits? (10:49)
• Emma Cox, Shaun Grist, Mell Turford & Ingrid Parker: What has your experience been of investing in apprentices and T-Level placements? (13:52)
• Gillian Keegan: How can adults access these kinds of options as well as young people? (24:57)
• Gillian Keegan: You mentioned the push in skills across various sectors, are you expecting large growth in EV and renewables specifically? (31:08)
• David Byford: If I’m a business coming to Strode College for information on these skills and apprenticeship schemes, how do I know what’s right for my business? (33:38)
• Mell Turford: Could you tell us about the T levels pilot scheme that you were a part of? (34:50)
• Emma Cox & Ingrid Parker: Are you seeing a range of ages taking advantage of the schemes that your business is a part of? (35:40)
Questions from the audience
• Gillian Keegan & David Byford: How can technical options, such as apprenticeships, traineeships and T Levels, help to solve skills shortages in sectors (like hospitality and logistics)? (39:29)
• Gillian Keegan: There has been some criticism about the Apprenticeship Levy, can this scheme be classed as a success? (45:40)
• Shaun Grist & Ingrid Parker: As businesses that have been a part of the schemes discussed today, would you change or clarify anything in particular about them? (49:26)
• Final word from Shaun Grist (52:00)
• Final word from Emma Cox (52:28)
• Final word from Mell Turford (53:16)
• Final word from Ingrid Parker (53:44)
• Final word from Gillian Keegan (54:19)
• Final word from David Byford (55:12)
Be sure to subscribe to the Business Leader YouTube channel for more interviews with some of the UK’s leading business figures.