As the leader of a company, you are there to set an example, to lead and inspire a team of individuals to achieve a series of business goals. But how do these business leaders go about their daily routine? Business Leader spoke to Sam Duggan – Head of Marketing at Force24 about his working day.
- What time do you usually wake up?
7am. For me, mornings are the best part of the day. It also means I can get a run in before work.
- What do you typically have for breakfast?
Usually, I go for a black coffee and then have a bigger lunch!
- What’s the rest of your morning routine before you start work?
Once I’ve finished my run, I jump in the shower, get a coffee, check personal emails and then get sorted for work.
- First thing you do at the start of a workday?
I catch up on emails and Slack messages from the previous night – I’m quite good at making sure I log-off a little so I can reset for the next day.
- How do you prioritise your work?
It’s all about importance verses urgency. Anything that falls into these categories, they get done straight away. If it’s important, but not urgent, I’ll sort it later.
- Do you plan meetings or are they a waste of time?
I’m trying to spend less time in meetings now because it’s proving to be much more efficient in terms of workload. I would say 50% of them are less productive than they should be!
- Do you have a working lunch or is it good to take a break?
The latter. I feel much better when I’m able to step away from my screen, do something else, and then come back to my work.
- When does your working day finish?
I try and make sure I’ve got all my jobs done so I’m able to log-off at 6pm.
- How do you prepare for your next day’s work?
Last thing I do every night is write a ‘to do’ list for the next day so I’m prepared for what I need to prioritise.
- What’s your favourite piece of technology?
I hate to say it, but it’s probably my phone!
- How do you switch off?
I like to try and end the day with some outdoor time such as going for a walk. If I don’t manage that, I spend some time watching TV to relax. I’m currently deep into re-watching ‘24’!
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
That’s a tricky one to pin-point because I take inspiration and advice from a lot of people on a daily basis. Something that does spring to mind, however, is a reminder that consistency is key when it comes to driving results.