Nespresso achieves B Corp Certification
Nespresso has announced its certification as a B Corp. The brand joins a movement of more than 700 purpose-led UK and ROI businesses and 4,900 around the world, verified by B Lab to meet high standards of social and environmental responsibility, accountability, and transparency – including Patagonia and The Body Shop.
The announcement is a marker for the positive impact Nespresso has made in the coffee industry and beyond since the brand was founded in 1986.
Key contributing elements include its unique approach to coffee sourcing – through the Nespresso AAA Sustainable Quality™ Program, developed in partnership with the Rainforest Alliance – its strategic alliance with Fairtrade, and the brand’s recycling schemes for its aluminium capsules.
Guillaume Le Cunff, Nespresso CEO, said: “B Corp™ Certification reflects a 30-year Nespresso commitment to sustainability, transparency and responsible business.
“We are immensely proud to be joining a community of like minds who share our belief that profit and purpose go hand-in-hand. This certification brings added value for our customers and affirms to Nespresso fans that their favourite coffee brand is doing business the right way.”
“Most importantly, B Corp™ Certification inspires us to do more. It strengthens our commitment to our vision that every cup of Nespresso coffee has a positive impact on the world.”
Sustainable action in the UK & ROI
Nespresso has been at the forefront of capsule recycling for more than 10 years – starting with the launch of the brand’s dedicated recycling scheme in 2010, through to co-founding the UK’s first industry-wide coffee capsule recycling scheme, Podback, in April 2021.
Following Podback’s first year of operation, used capsules from 11 different coffee capsule brands can now be easily recycled via a nationwide Collect+ drop-off service, as well as kerbside collection in seven local authority areas – already reaching over 1.25 million local residents. Within the next five years, Podback aims to provide kerbside coffee pod recycling to at least half of UK households.
Nespresso UK & ROI is also supporting global efforts to achieve carbon neutrality by the end of 2022. Nespresso’s offices in Gatwick and York are powered by 100% renewable energy, as well as all boutiques where the energy supply is managed by Nespresso.
Guillaume Chesneau, Managing Director of Nespresso UK & ROI, said: “From enhancing circularity and tackling climate change, through to supporting sustainable livelihoods for producers – business has shown that it can have a meaningful impact on society’s biggest challenges when we work together. Becoming a B Corp™ is an incredibly proud moment for us here in the UK and Ireland, and for all Nespresso colleagues around the world.
However, this journey we are on to make coffee a force for good doesn’t end there. As a member of the B Corp™ Community, we’re excited about what we can achieve in the future, working alongside other purpose-driven organisations to accelerate positive change through the B Corp™ Movement.”
The company will add the B Corp™ logo to Nespresso products and communications to help spread the word about the movement, educate consumers, and support them in making more sustainable choices in their purchasing decisions.
Chris Turner, Executive Director at B Lab UK, said: “This certification is a milestone for the scaling of this movement and the impact it can create. B Corp Certification is the start of the journey, not the destination, and we’re looking forward to seeing Nespresso in action, as it moves forward with a commitment to continuous improvement, transparency, and accountability. Congratulations and welcome to the B Corp Community.”
Key Facts: B Corp Certification
- Nespresso scored 84 points out of 200 on the B Impact Assessment. A minimum of 80 points is required to achieve B Corp™ status.
- To date, over 700 companies in the UK have achieved B Corp™ Certification, making the UK home to the second-largest B Corp™ community in the world. Globally, over 4,900 companies have been certified.
- UK B Corporations span over 56 industries with over 40,400 employees.
- To certify as a B Corp™, businesses must meet high standards across five areas: Governance, Workers, Community, Environment and Customers.
- Certified B Corps™ are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on all stakeholders. To meet this requirement, Nespresso has updated its Articles of Association (Corporate Articles).
- B Corp™ Certification covers Nespresso’s global business, meaning all Nespresso operations where Nespresso is a legal entity or a division of Nestlé, spanning 38 markets (including the UK and Republic of Ireland).