Post Office surge as holidaymakers prepare for ‘No Deal Brexit’

Economy & Politics | Leisure & Tourism | National
Post Office

Allianz Assistance UK, the travel insurance and assistance services firm, is recommending travellers get to grips with the documents that they might need in order to drive in Europe, if Britain leaves the EU with a ‘no deal’ Brexit this Friday.

Holidaymakers could find themselves in need of an International Driving Permit (IDP) if they plan to drive whilst abroad and supply is already in strong demand.

IDPs are already a requirement if planning to drive in many countries outside the EU/EEA, but this could soon apply to Brits who are heading off to Europe if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. IDP’s cost £5.50 and can be obtained over the counter at Post Offices across the UK.  Applicants must be a GB or Northern Ireland resident, have a full UK driving licence and be 18 or over.

Kate Walker, Head of Direct Business at Allianz Assistance UK explained: “If the UK leaves the EU without a deal this Friday then IDPs will be needed alongside a main driving licence, if you are planning to drive whilst you are on your travels. This could apply if you are taking your own car abroad or hiring a car at your European destination.

“It is also really important that you know exactly what you need before you set off because to make things slightly more complicated, there are three different IDPs currently in use and you may need more than one depending on the country that you are visiting. But be warned, the Post Office has been experiencing an increase in customers looking to purchase an IDP, so if you are heading abroad soon, you might want to secure one sooner rather than later.

The Post Office said on its website: “We’re aware that some of the 2500 branches across the UK providing International Driving Permits (IDPs) have seen high demand, and we’re sorry to anyone who has been unable to purchase an IDP at their chosen branch. We’d like to reassure customers that we have plenty IDPs in stock and we have been providing branches with extra supplies.”

Walker concluded: “It’s best to add ‘checking IDP requirements’ to your pre-holiday preparation list along with other essentials like travel insurance, valid passports and the correct currency.  All the necessary information you need is available on The good news is, there is no requirement for UK licence holders visiting EU/EEA countries to undertake any additional test to drive after the UK leaves the EU.”

Did you enjoy reading this content?  To get more great content like this subscribe to our magazine

Tagged with:

Reader's Comments

Comments related to the current article

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *