Scale Space launches event series – The Scale Factor – in partnership with Imperial College Business School
Scale Space and Imperial College Business School have joined forces to launch The Scale Factor, a new thought leadership series focussed on scaling, with the first event taking place virtually on Thursday 17 September.
With Scale Space committed to helping unlock the potential of UK innovation, The Scale Factor will provide a forum to identify and debate the most decisive challenges to scaling in the UK market and beyond from the most experienced scalers and experts in the field.
The first event Bridge the gap: Skills strategies for sustainable growth and innovation will aim to address the widening skills gap in the UK, an issue that disproportionately affects the tech sector and scaleups. If unsolved, the skills gap could lead to a loss of £120bn in economic output by the end of 2029.
Hosted by James Ashton, former City Editor of The Sunday Times and London Evening Standard, the panel of experts bridging policy, academic and scaling communities will include:
- Irene Graham – Chief Executive Officer, The ScaleUp Institute
- Dr Mark Kennedy – Associate Professor, Imperial College Business School
- Richard Haynes – Chief Commercial Officer, Avado
- Stian Westlake, Chief Executive, Royal Statistical Society
Scaleup mentor, investor and writer Chris Yeh will also be joining live from Silicon Valley as the keynote speaker. Chris will deliver a keynote talk titled, Blitzscaling the Skills Gap, addressing how we need to globally pivot our skills strategies for a rapidly changing and technology-driven world and how scale-ups can overcome and fill this gap.
Chris Yeh commented: “Once upon a time, the skills people learned in school or in their early work would stay relevant for their entire career. But in a technology-oriented world driven by the relentless exponential force of Moore’s Law, both individuals and companies have to continually re-skill to keep up. The good news is that innovation can be the solution, as well as the cause of this challenge.”
The Scale Factor will be launched with an opening address from the founders of Scale Space White City Manoj Badale, Co-founder, Blenheim Chalcot and Professor Alice P. Gast, President, Imperial College London.
Mark Sanders, Executive Chairman, Scale Space said: “Scaling companies have a unique set of challenges to overcome, and the journey can often be lonely and daunting. We created The Scale Factor with Imperial College Business School to provide a platform for the brightest and boldest minds, from academic to entrepreneurs, to come together and debate the most pressing issues facing the technology and life sciences sectors today. Our goal is for The Scale Factor to become a ‘go to’ resource to help companies innovate and grow successfully across the UK.”
The event will explore critical questions including:
- How to close the skills gap and protect a pipeline of talent for UK scaleups (especially post Brexit and post-pandemic)
- Emerging trends in education – are secondary and tertiary curricula adequately preparing the next generation?
- Culture, diversity and inclusion – how to attract more diverse talent into STEM
- New modes of L&D – structured and unstructured training approaches
- Hiring the right skills at the right time – “How to choose Ms. Right Now versus Ms. Right” (Chris Yeh, Reid Hoffman, ‘Blitzscaling’, Harper Collins: 2018)
To join the virtual event on Thursday 17 September from 17:25 – 19:00 click here