Scale Space White City, the UK’s new hub for innovative businesses, opens in White City with 100,000 sq ft now let
Scale Space White City, the new home for innovation in West London, has launched with its first 100,000 sq ft phase fully let despite turbulence in the office market in recent months.
Scale Space White City has appointed JLL and Frost Meadowcroft as joint advisers to attract the UK’s most innovative companies to occupy the additional buildings that will be available in 2021. The next phase will see 60,000 sq ft of office space become available at Scale Space White City in early 2021 that will appeal to a wide range of operators and is available for a single occupier, or can be multi-tenanted.
The Scale Space community will formally launch in September after its first round of occupiers have moved in. The new 200,000 sq ft building will be home to leading scale ups and innovative businesses across the technology, digital and life-sciences sectors.
Scale Space White City is more than just an office building. It is an entirely new concept that brings Blenheim Chalcot’s venture building expertise together with Imperial College London to help scaling businesses grow effectively by connecting them with the right people, services, space and resources. Imperial College Business School will have a presence in Scale Space with a dedicated research and teaching space.
The White City location offers exceptional transport links, only 15 minutes from the West End and 30 minutes to the City and a short walk from Westfield White City with extensive car parking capacity. The wider area offers an array of hospitality and leisure brands including Television Centre, Soho House, Homeslice and Patty & Bun.
Scale Space White City is designed to foster innovation
The building was designed by CJCT and Opperman and constructed using a modular construction methodology by Western Building Systems. Modular build is still a rare feature in the office market whilst the corrugated steel cladding coupled with the gold TECU panels gives the building a unique identity.
The building’s design and layout has been devised to create an open environment and people flow to encourage ‘informal collisions’ between occupiers, which is helpful in fostering innovation based on Blenheim Chalcot’s experience.
Over 7,000 sq ft has been given over to common amenity space, creating a vibrant environment for members of the community to meet, including a café, breakout areas, event space and landscaped grounds. Of interest to potential occupiers from the life science industry is the opportunity to fit out space for laboratory use, where the building’s design lends itself to installation of additional equipment.
Scale Space White City is opening in a three phased process:
• Phase 1 (100,000 sq ft): Blenheim Chalcot companies and other leading scale ups move in between now and September 2020. [List of first companies to move in is below].
• Phase 2: In early 2021 Imperial College Business School will open a 12,000 sq ft purpose-built research and teaching facility. A further 60,000 sq ft will complete, available to let on flexible terms
• Phase 3: A further 40,000 sq ft of office and laboratory space is planned for construction in 2021.
Line-up of the first businesses to move into Scale Space White City:
• Agilisys – leading provider of cloud, IT, and digital transformation services in the UK, as well as the technology partner for the States of Guernsey.
• Avado – A professional academy helping companies enable real change through interactive learning experiences.
• DNAe – the first true point-of-need sequencing company revolutionising clinical diagnostic.
• Koodoo – The digital lending platform transforming the mortgage industry.
• Modulr – the fast-growing Payments as a Service API platform.
• Salary Finance – Socially responsible employee finance.
The services for Scale Space White City are:
• Expert Know-How: Blenheim Chalcot believes scaling is a science. Scale Space will help its members speed their development by helping them draw on the knowledge and growth processes followed by other successful scaling businesses as well as research from The Scale Up Institute and academic thought leadership from Imperial College London as well as other experts.
• The Growth Network: Scale Space will help its members connect into its network of venture builders, academics, researchers, tech leaders and scale up leaders. Regular Scale Space member get togethers will help to build a collegiate environment of peer-to-peer support.
• Scale-up services: Scale Space will provide its members with access to specialist services and expertise. This will include monthly talent clinics to help businesses draw on talent from across Scale Space’s university network and talent partners. These services range from student placements to specific advice and paid for consultancy from growth specialists across HR, legal, tax and governance, through to specific projects delivered for companies by the Imperial College entrepreneurial student network, including MBA students.
• Space tailored for growth: Companies can curate the space they need to grow, ranging from fully fitted offices to research labs or office suites – and across a range of models from long-term traditional leases to flexible managed services.
Mark Sanders, Executive Chairman, Scale Space comments: “Scale Space is a new concept and we wanted to work in partnership with leading organisations that can explain and represent us, both locally and more broadly across London. We want to attract innovative and growth businesses to Scale Space to benefit from and add to our community.
“Post Covid, as organisations are thinking about where they can be best located, we want to ensure that White City and Scale Space are being considered as a strong option. We chose the combination of JLL and Frost Meadowcroft as they both recognised why we’re different, and better, and because, together, they give us the market coverage we are seeking.”
Stuart Austin, Director, JLL said, “This is a very exciting project for JLL to be involved with. White City is a fast-changing part of London which itself will help attract interest from businesses considering potential new locations. The opportunity for tenants to engage with Imperial College London and Blenheim Chalcot throughout the duration of their tenancy is a real differentiating factor.”
Simon Kibble, Director, Frost Meadowcroft said “With over 100,000 sq ft now let at Scale Space, these lettings continue to demonstrate the success of White City as a location in attracting occupiers. The remaining 60,000 sq ft will be available for Q1 2020. We are seeing occupiers preferences change in a post COVID market, and this low density development with generous outdoor space and on-site facilities should really appeal to those employers seeking a better quality working environment.”
Find out more about Scale Space by clicking here