The future of the region is at stake – Bristol Airport CEO speaks out about pandemic and expansion plans
Watch the interview here
In an exclusive interview with Business Leader, Bristol Airport’s CEO Dave Lees and its Sustainability and Corporate Affairs Director Simon Earles, talk about the impact the pandemic has had on the airport; why they feel let down by the government and the plans to try to overturn North Somerset Council’s decision to halt their expansion plans.
In the interview they both stress that the future of the region’s economic future is at stake, should the expansion not finally go ahead; and they also talk about the measures the airport and their partners are taking to tackle climate change.
Here’s a breakdown of what we covered:
• How have the last 18 months been at the Bristol Airport? (0:45)
• It must have been keen quite relentless and very stop-start; did you think it would last this long? (1:41)
• Can you give us an overview of where you are now – what countries are green and where people can fly to etc? (6:32)
• How long will it take the airport to recover from the impact of the pandemic? (8:19)
• Moving away from the pandemic – can you tell us about the ambitious plans for Bristol Airport? (9:52)
• The expansion plans were initially voted down by North Somerset Council – where are we now and what will be the next steps? (13:34)
• What would be the impact of not winning the appeal for expanding the airport? (15:44)
• Can you talk about sustainability and where aviation fits within the mix and the work being done to tackle emissions by the sector? (17:17)
Be sure to subscribe to the Business Leader YouTube channel for more interviews with some of the UK’s leading business figures.