The new PPI? How a landmark high court ruling could mean a sizable payout under your business interruption insurance policy
Businesses throughout the country have been sweating over cashflow and the effects of the pandemic are still being tallied with no end in sight. However, a landmark test-case, brought by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), means that owners of business interruption insurance may be eligible for pay-outs.
UPDATE FEB 2021: Watch our latest interview with Russell Williamson about the case.
We spoke to Russell Williamson, Senior Associate at renowned international law firm Bird & Bird, to find out why owners of business interruption insurance should review their policies now.
Watch the full interview with Russell Williamson from Bird & Bird here
Here’s what we discussed in the interview:
- Many will have seen reports in the press about businesses looking to claim under their Business Interruption (BI) insurance policies in relation to losses they have suffered during the COVID-19 lockdown. What is the scale of this issue? (1:10)
- Can you explain what Business Interruption insurance is and what it specifically covers? (4:35)
- You mentioned earlier that a test case has been brought in the UK. What is the significance of that? (10:12)
- Will the Court’s decision be binding on insurers, meaning that they will have to pay out to relevant policyholders? (13:35)
- So if you are a business which has a BI policy and you have taken a hit during lockdown, what steps should you now be taking? (16:01)
- How do people get in touch with you for more information? (20:25)
If you would like to get hold of the Bird & Bird team for more information, give them a call on 020 7415 6000 or email Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to have a look at the Business Interruption Insurance and COVID tracker on the Bird & Bird website.