This is an unusual article but we are in unusual times…
My name is Katherine and I am the Director of the Future Economy Network; a sustainable business network which hosts weekly sustainability-related events and networking opportunities for a business audience.
Some strange professional etiquette has prevented me until now from publicly admitting that I am very scared about our futures given the climate emergency. But who wouldn’t be scared given the knowledge that we have less than 11 years to drastically reduce our carbon emissions and avoid the devastating impacts of climate change?!
So, what can I do? I can write this article; my plea asking ALL BUSINESSES to get on board if you are not already and to do more, if you are! Here are some proposed next steps…
A Call Out to ALL Businesses… Declare a Climate Emergency!
No matter what your business, this is a call out to you to ask what YOUR business can do to reduce its carbon footprint and improve its sustainability. I know that we are all busy and so it can fall off the ‘to do’ list but we really have no choice when this is the biggest existential crisis humanity has ever seen.
And with over a third of the British public experiencing ‘eco-anxiety’, your workforce will welcome your commitment to addressing the crisis head on.
The Future Economy Network recently declared a climate emergency and you can do so too, being represented alongside other climate leaders such as Greenhouse PR, The University of Bristol and We The Curious. Get in touch if you would like our support with this: email@example.com
What Else?…Attend our Festival of Sustainable Business!
The Future Economy Network is coordinating a Festival of Sustainable Business in central Bristol on 17th September where your business can learn about what YOU can do to achieve carbon neutrality.
Here are some of the activities you can get involved in:
• Book to attend our FREE exhibition showcasing sustainability-related products and services at We The Curious
• Get inspired by other organisations at the FREE Lightening Talk Stage, compered by Radio Presenter Paris Troy
• Link in with our Sustainable Recruitment Team to discuss your employment needs
• Re-consider your transport options in our Sustainable Transport Zone in Millennium Square
• Enjoy our sustainable-sourced lunches in our Sustainable Food Zone in Millennium Square
• Learn from industry experts at our 9 seminars on various sustainability-related themes including The Circular Economy, Sustainable Finance, Smart Cities and Sustainable Construction – Business Leaders can get an exclusive 50% off of our seminar series when using code BL19 when booking here
• Network at our sustainably sourced Gala Dinner where keynote speakers include Rt Hon Sir Edward Davey MP, City to Sea Founder, Natalie Fee and Bristol City Council Mayor, Marvin Rees
And then?…Attend The Global Climate Strike!
The Future Economy Network will be joining our young people and other businesses who on 20th September will be striking to raise awareness of the climate emergency. We will be there to offer solidarity to our young people and to show the strength of our commitment to the country’s leaders. Sign up to attend a climate strike near you: https://globalclimatestrike.net/
What else?…Measure you Carbon Footprint and do something about it!
The Future Economy Group’s consultancy service can help you measure your carbon footprint and make recommendations around reductions – get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
So, thank you for taking the time to read this and a thank you in advance for taking the above steps with your organisation. I hope to see as many of you as possible in person at the Festival of Sustainable Business or the Global Climate Strikes. We can do it!