Why should you enter the 2022 Scale-Up Awards?
The Scale-Up Awards celebrate high-growth companies and the entrepreneurs that run them. It is the first and only awards to focus on the scale-up sector and the 2022 event will showcase the businesses that have navigated the tough conditions by innovating, creating jobs, achieving growth, and supporting their communities and the planet.
Amazon were the headline sponsor for 2021 and the event has been described as the ‘Oscars’ of the business world – bringing together politicians, VIPs and business leaders from across the UK and world to celebrate success and enterprise. But, why should you enter this year?
What are the benefits of entering?
You may be aware of the Scale-Up Awards and we would like to encourage you to submit an entry. The awards are run by Business Leader – and they are aimed at fast-growing businesses that are innovative, ambitious, and disruptive.
You can enter as many categories as you like and there is no cost to enter.
Previous winners have said they have benefitted from the following after winning an award
• Acquired new customers
• Grown market share
• Connected with investors and funders
• Have seen year on year growth since winning an award
• Seen increases in staff retention
• Made new business connections
• Gained knowledge from the judges
What do the stats say about entering the Awards?
Aside from the obvious benefits of entering an awards, such as free marketing, benchmarking yourselves against your competition, giving your staff a morale boost, and attracting new talent – there are some statistics that back up the importance of getting involved.
According to a research study involving more than 600 quality corporate award winners by Hendricks & Singhal of the University of Western Ontario and Georgia Institute of Technology, it found that winners achieved 37% more sales growth and 44% higher stock price return than their competitors.
For B2C businesses, the story is similar – awards will help elevate you above your rivals.
In a different survey from Shape-the-Future, with over 400 key business decision makers, the data revealed that 82% of those taking part admitted to being influenced by awards when buying products and/or services.
What do the judges say about entering the Scale-Up Awards?
If you are looking at entering this year – it is important to have the right information before sending across your application for the Scale-Up Awards.
Each entry will be reviewed by the esteemed panel of independent judges – including Dragons’ Den star Toucker Suleyman, supermodel Caprice Bourret, CEO of the ScaleUp Institute Irene Graham OBE, and investor Alpesh Patel OBE. To see who else is on the panel, click here.
At this point, you may be asking ‘What makes a successful entry?’ – so, we have asked three of the panel what they believe makes a winning entry.
When producing an award entry, it’s always important to step back and try to understand what the criteria for each competition is; and make sure your entry meets what is being asked.
Each awards programme is different, and you need to ensure you’re tailoring your entry to whichever one you’re entering. If it’s asking for you to give specific information, then try to do so or at least explain why you can’t yet provide that information.
Finally – provide examples that back up the claims you make in your entry. If you say you deliver the best customer service – provide analysis and testimonials that demonstrate how.
I’ll be judging at the Scale-Up Awards, and I’m excited to be involved.
For me – I’ll be looking for entries that meet the set criteria but also give a clear description of the business’s plans and sets out a roadmap for how it plans to achieve its growth ambitions.
Showing and not telling is another important part of an entry and backing up any claims with testimonials, statistics, and financial information, where possible.
As a specialist in compiling winning award entries, there are some core elements that I will be looking for across the categories I will be judging, but there also some important points to consider before you even start writing an entry:
- Select the right category: To give yourself the best chance of winning, you need to get in the right race in the first place. There are often multiple categories that your story could fit – but think about what it is that REALLY makes you stand out and enter the categories that play directly to those strengths.
- Tell a human story: Judges need facts to make a thorough assessment, but they also need to make an emotional connection to keep give them a compelling reason to choose you as the winner. The best entries combine both.
- Believe in yourself: Too many people who think ‘It won’t be me’ when it comes to winning an award. Well yes, that’s true if they don’t bother to enter, or leave it to the last minute to get an entry together. Don’t rush your entry a few days before the deadline, have confidence, celebrate what you have already achieved, and start preparing your entry sooner rather than later!
If you have any questions about entering or getting involved in this year’s event, please email email@example.com or call 020 3096 0020.